Peppermint Hot Chocolate
One of my favorite flavors during the holiday season is anything peppermint chocolate. Since graduating into my late 20's (unwillingly) I find myself frequenting Starbucks less and less. No hate, just prefer coffee from smaller shops. That said, nothing beats the Starbucks Peppermint Mocha or Peppermint Hot Chocolate.
It's tradition in my family (re: me and my sister) to pop into Starbucks on Christmas morning and grab our favorite holiday drink - Peppermint Mocha for me, Hot Apple Cider with caramel drizzle for her. However, sometimes I crave the combination of peppermint and chocolate, but don't want to be weighed down by all the sugar and dairy. Enter, this dairy-free, but still decadent, Peppermint Hot Chocolate. Drink as is, or add in a shot of espresso for a sweet mocha!
Serving Size - 2
1 3/4 cup oat milk (or favorite milk)
1/2 cup water
1/4 tsp vanilla
2 Tbsp cacao powder
2 tsp maple syrup, more to taste
2-3 drops peppermint extract, more to taste
pinch of sea salt
mini candy canes for garnish
1. In a small pot over medium low heat add in the milk and water. Let heat for 3-4 minutes without boiling.
2. Stir in the vanilla, maple, and peppermint extract, and sea salt. Ladle into mugs and serve!
To rim the mugs with candy pieces like in the photos follow these steps:
1. Finely chop or crush 1 large (or 3 mini) candy canes into tiny pieces.
2. Using your finger or a small cooking brush, rim the mugs with honey.
3. Push the candy pieces together in a pile and flatten out until they are even. Tip the mug over and coat with the pieces.