This past Easter my mom decided, despite me being 26 years old, that I deserved an Easter basket. From the outside, this basket looked like it was made for a 5 year old - bright yellow basket decorated with colorful Easter bunnies and flowers with pink shredded plastic on the bottom holding up the goodies inside. I half expected a basket full of candy, but much to my surprise, this basket was full of adult goodies (that sounds dirty...I promise it's not).
I opened the basket and inside were two bottles of red wine, a few of my favorite goodies from Trader Joes (like puffed cheese snacks), and a can of artichoke hearts.
I couldn't help but laugh - what a random item. But, my mom knows how much I love challenging myself with a food item that I've never used before. I've had artichoke hearts prepared for me, but I've never used them in my own cooking before. Which was a surprise to realize, because I love the simple, yet robust, flavor they add to any dish.
Immediately, I wanted to add to my repetoire of "one-pan" chicken skillet dishes. My easy, one-pan meals seem to be the most popular among my recipes. This is another 30-minute, super simple meal you can have ready for dinner in no time. With just a few simple ingredients, most of which you likely have on hand, this dish is so flavorful and perfect for a fall weeknight meal.
4 bone-in chicken thighs, skin on
1.5 cup diced leeks
Juice of 1 lemon
1 can artichoke hearts, cut into fourths
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup broth
2 tbsp oil or butter (ghee)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
Salt & pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 375°. Season both sides of the chicken liberally with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
2. Heat oil, butter, or ghee in a cast iron (or oven safe skillet) over medium high heat. Add in the chicken thighs skin side down and cook, without moving, for 4-5 minutes, or until skin is crisp.
3. Flip chicken after 5 minutes, and cook an additional 1-2 minutes. Remove and set aside.
4. Turn heat down to low and let pan cool for 1 minute. Add in the leeks and saute for 1 minute.
5. Add in artichoke hearts and sauté another 1 minute. Add in the white wine, lemon juice, and broth and whisk quickly to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
6. Add the chicken thighs back in and cook stove top for 1 minute.
7. Place in the oven and cook for 30-35, or until chicken is cooked through.
1. This is a one pan dish, but super tasty served over brown rice medley, mashed root veggies, or spaghetti squash. It is also tasty as is, served with your favorite veggies or salad on the side.
2. This dish reheats well; it is an excellent option for meal prep or leftovers for lunch.