Buffalo Chicken Burgers with Creamy Herb Slaw
Happy August to you all! I know I sound like a dang broken record, but it truly baffles me just how fast time flies by. I'm sure my older relatives would scoff at me saying this, but my guess is time flying is just a product of getting older.
"I told you so!" they scream...
With so much going on in life, from work to blog life, staying active and staying social, it's no wonder that I feel like I went to sleep in June and woke up in August. I always think back to the good ole days, when summer vacation felt like 3 years instead of 3 months, and all I had to occupy my time was several hours at the beach and the occasional school reading that I "did."
Remember a few posts back (Salt & Vinegar Beet Chips) when I was reminiscing about spending summertime camping with my aunt and uncle? Well, despite the insanely busy summer we've had so far, we were able to sneak in a quick weekend getaway to spend some time with them! It's by no means the amount of time I'd prefer (seriously, Friday night-Sunday night is SO SHORT and I'd much rather have a week to camp), but I'll take what I can get. We leave this Friday and are so pumped to spend some quality time with them.
It will be 103° so instead of hanging around their town Saturday, we're going to sneak off for some wine tasting in Napa. It's only about an hour away and will be significantly cooler. My aunt is a big champagne guru, so I know we will be spending our time there cooling down with some tasty bubbly! We're hoping to finish the day getting together with some family friends for dinner and the most laughter - seriously, this bunch is some of the funniest people I know. Even if it isn't camping, spending the weekend with my aunt and uncle and family friends is so reminiscent of past summers that I can hardly wait.
Know what else always makes me think of summer? Burgers and buffalo sauce. I know buffalo sauce is more of a fall-football-10 cent wing kind of thing, but I always crave the stuff most in the hot summer days. In fact, after completing my recent Whole30 (it's basically the official hot sauce of Whole30), I've been craving it daily. On my breakfast bowls, braised with cabbage, drizzled over tuna or chicken salad, you name it. The heat pairs so perfectly with cool, crisp, herbaceous summer salads, that that this summer Buffalo Chicken Burger with Creamy Herb Slaw was a no brainer. The entire dish is Whole30/Paleo friendly, but feel free to add a regular bun (would be amazing chopped up as a wrap, too), or sub greek yogurt if you can't stand mayo.
Serving Size - 4 burgers
For the burgers:
1 lb ground chicken
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp celery salt
1/4 cup Franks Red Hot + more for brushing
For the slaw:
1 1/2 cup shredded green Cabbage
3 tbsp homemade or Whole30 approved mayo
1 tbsp lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tbsp chopped fresh chives
1 tsp chopped fresh dill
1. Add the shredded cabbage to a large mixing bowl. In a separate, smaller bowl, whisk together the mayo, lemon juice, and fresh herbs. Toss the green cabbage with the herb dressing. Season with salt and pepper, set aside in the refrigerator to help marinade. This can be made head several hours, or even the night before.
2. In a large bowl add the ground chicken, garlic powder, celery salt, and 1/4 cup of Frank's Red Hot sauce. Using your hands, gently combine the ingredients, careful to not overwork - you don't want tough burgers!
3. Separate into 4 equal portions, and using your hands, carefully form into patties. I like to press down with my thumb in the center of each patty to ensure even cooking and flat, uniform burgers.
4. Heat a large cast iron skillet, or preferably your grill or grill plate, over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the chicken burgers and cook on one side for 5-6 minutes over medium heat. Flip, and brush cooked side with more hot sauce and cook for additional 5 minutes, or until burgers are cooked through.
5. Serve topped with herb slaw and your favorite sides. We served ours with carrot spears and homemade Whole30 Ranch Dressing!