I swear, the second things start to settle down it's only a matter of minutes before they pick back up again. After a busy summer full of visitors, weekend getaways, and busy work schedules, I was looking forward to a relatively quiet fall before our two week trip to Patagonia in November.
However, it's only the middle of September and work is as busy as ever, weekends are filling up with birthdays and activities, and the end of the year is creeping up faster than ever before. I love having a packed schedule, but as we gear up for Patagonia, we're finding we have less time to get the hiking and training in that is necessary.
We will be in Patagonia for two weeks starting November 11th. We will be doing 3 back to back 12+ mile hikes, trekking on one of the world's largest glaciers, and horseback riding through the valley. I'm beyond excited because Patagonia has been a lifelong dream destination of mine and I've never been on an excursion type of vacation before. While we are young and active, we want to make sure we're keeping up with our fitness before we take off.
During the week we try to get in a few workouts, plus a long hike or bike ride on the weekends. Between work, side projects, happy hours, exercises, and binge watching The Night Of (so good!), it is insanely important that I have quick and healthy dinner options for us, especially as our schedules continue to build. This one-pan chicken dish is amazing for busy nights...so easy and relatively zero clean up! What more could you ask for?
With few ingredients, this dish comes together in minutes. You simply brown some chicken thighs, sauté some aromatics, and simmer a few ingredients which all come together in the most deliciously spicy, tangy, and rich sauce. Serve it with some brown rice and veggies and you're good to go - busy schedule or not!
Serving Size: 4
1.5 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1/2 yellow onion
2 garlic cloves
2 limes, 1 for juicing, 1 for garnish
2 tsp Sriracha Hot Sauce
3/4 cup coconut milk
1 cup chicken broth
2 tsp coconut oil, divided
cilantro for garnish
salt and pepper
1. Salt and pepper both sides of the chicken thighs. Set aside.
2. Prep your ingredients: thinly slice the half onion. Mince the garlic. Slice half of one lime into mini wedges (refer to photos).
3. Heat one tablespoon of coconut oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the chicken thighs. Cook for about 2-3 minutes, without moving.
4. Flip chicken and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Remove chicken (don't worry, you will finish cooking the thighs at the end) and set aside on a plate.
5. Reduce the heat to medium low and add the onions and cook, stirring constantly to ensure you scrape up all the browned chicken bits. Cook the onions for about 2-3 minutes, until brown.
6. Add the garlic and stir in for about 30 seconds.
7. Add the chicken broth and juice of one lime. Season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and let liquid reduce by 1/4, stirring once or twice. About 5 minutes.
8. Once liquid has reduced, add in coconut milk and Sriracha and whisk to combine. Add back in the chicken thighs, mini lime wedges, and cook for additional 6-8 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. Be sure to spoon sauce over chicken to coat in juices.
9. Serve chicken with brown or white rice and favorite veggies!