I'm jealous of anyone skilled in the art of "meal prep." I follow plenty of blogs that write 'Meal Prep How To's' and somehow find myself more frustrated and stressed than inspired and prepared. I try, I really do, but by the end of the week my meal-prepped food has either gone bad or has lost it's appetizing appeal.
However, it's not economical, or healthy for that matter, to buy lunch every day. My solution? Doubling up on dinner. Unless dinner had any type of seafood. I'm not a monster...
This quinoa bowl is perfect for a packed lunch as the quinoa will line the bottom of your tupperware and is sturdy enough to stand up to pickled veggies and dressing.
Serving Size: 4
1/2 red onion, sliced thinly
1.5 cups red cabbage, shredded
1 cup water
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 stevia packet (or 1 tsp sugar)
*the above ingredients are for pickled veggies- you can also easily buy pre-pickled items.
1/2 cup quinoa, cooked
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup corn
2 chicken breasts, poached and shredded
1 avocado, mashed
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cumin
squeeze lime juice
salt & pepper
3 tbsp greek yogurt
1/2 lime, juiced
1 tbsp water
1 dash garlic powder
salt & pepper
1. Place cabbage and onion in two separate containers (mason jars work best). Mix together pickling liquid, pour over vegetables and set aside for at least 3-4 hours.
2. Boil 3 cups of water, add chicken breasts, and poach over medium heat for about 25 minutes.
3. Whisk together yogurt, lime juice, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and water. Set aside.
4. When chicken is cooked through, remove from pot and shred with fork.
5. Place chicken in a bowl, squeeze lime juice, and season with spices. Mix to thoroughly coat chicken.
6. Combine quinoa, corn, and black bean, disperse into bowls. Reserve half for lunch.
7. Top each bowl with 1/4 spicy chicken, 1/4 avocado, pickled cabbage, pickled onion, and drizzle with 1/4 of the dressing. Reserve remainder for lunch (you may have leftover pickled veggies, in which case, lucky you...)